A Brief History of Saint Stephen Cathedral
- 1822-1839 – The mission years. Mission priests celebrated Mass in the homes of the early settlers in Daviess County
- 1839 – The first St. Stephen Church was built at Second and Cedar Streets. Reverend John C. Wathen was appointed pastor of the new church.
- 1849 – The Sisters of Charity of Nazareth opened St. Francis Academy, the first school in Daviess County
- 1856 – A second and larger Saint Stephen Church was built at the same location.
- 1924 – 1926 – The third Saint Stephen Church was built at 610 Locust Street. The artisans who designed the church were foreseeing that one day our church would be called “Cathedral.”
- 1937 – Pope Pius XI created the Diocese of Owensboro.
- 1938 – Pope Pius XI designated Most Reverend Francis R. Cotton as the first Bishop of the Diocese of Owensboro, and Saint Stephen Church as his Cathedral.
- 1938 – Reverend Anthony Higdon was the first priest to be ordained from Saint Stephen Cathedral.
- 1939 – We celebrated 100 years as a parish and the first parish school was opened at 7th and Frederica Streets for grades 1-5.
- 1947 – Blessed Sacrament Chapel established as a mission church.
- 1951 – Owensboro Catholic High School opened.
- 1962 – A new Saint Stephen Cathedral parish school opened at 600 Locust Street.
- 1989 – Owensboro parochial schools consolidated; St. Angela Merici became the designated school for our parish children and Saint Stephen Cathedral Preschool opened.
- 1989 – We celebrated 150 years as a parish!
- 2004 – Saint Stephen Cathedral parish held its first annual Parish Picnic. The first Capital Campaign “Preservation for the Next Generation” was opened to renew and refurbish the parish facilities.
- 2011 – Work continues on plans for the interior renovation of the Cathedral.
- 2012 – The newly renovated Cathedral was re-opened and the new altar dedicated on November 18, 2012.
Today, Saint Stephen Cathedral is a vibrant parish serving the spiritual needs of its families with Most Reverend William F. Medley as Bishop and Reverend Jerry Riney as pastor.
We are a blessed parish indeed!